Sunday, July 1, 2012

I've Got a New Toy! (and a cold)

I have been wanting a heart rate monitor forEVER.  Largely because I don't trust the calories the machines at the gym claim I burn.  Then I got pregnant and it didn't seem like the right time.

Well, I'm no longer pregnant.  I'm trying to work on my fitness.  I'm trying to lose weight and want to monitor my intake and exercise as precisely as possible.  So, it became time. 

I ended up getting a Polar ft4.  I had read that it was easy to use and unlike some heart rate monitors it allows you to input your gender, weight, and height.


I've had it since Friday and so far I'm loving it.  It's both amazing and depressing all at the very same time.

I love that I can accurately see an estimate of how many calories I'm burning based on how hard my body is working.  It's depressing because my heart rate is showing how very out of shape I am.  I end up working out of my target heart rate way more than I should be.  I know that as time goes on my heart rate will come back down as my body gets back into shape and I'm looking forward to watching that happen.

It's also been a great motivator because I get excited to see what I'm burning when I run or do turbo fire.  It helps me look forward to working out.  It's kind of my new bff.

In other news, I think all the working out has been a shock to my system and I have a bit of a cold.  My colds tend to manifest as itchy throats and a cough.  I also sound like Phoebe in Friends when she has her sexy voice.  Every time I talk to Squishy he kind of side eyes me wondering who the heck this person is who smells like mommy but doesn't sound like mommy.

Squishy is starting to grow out of her newborn clothes and it makes me sad.  Not because she's growing, which is an excellent thing, but because I'm going to miss some of her outfits.  Mainly her monster outfit.  I got it last year on clearance after Halloween.  Of course we didn't know if she was a boy of a girl then; but, I couldn't care less.  Girls can be monsters too.

She's also working on her smile which is the best.  The other day I had freaked myself out that she wasn't really smiling and of course the next day she started whipping them out more often.  I keep having to remind myself that she was born a little bit early so she will be a bit delayed as compared to other little ones her age.  Milestones suck.  You're happy when they are achieved; but, they are so stupidly stressful.  It's ridiculous. 

Anywho, sorry this post was kind of all over the place; but, hopefully you'll excuse my rambles.  Blame it on the cold ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment