Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Munchy Monday - Lasagna Roll Ups

Yes, I know it's not Monday as the title would lead you to believe; but, I woke up before six, drove 4 hours, and had a cranky, sick baby to contend with yesterday.  Forgive me :)  Anywho, what is Munchy Monday you ask?  I've decided that I'm sick of cooking and baking the same things over and over again.  Especially since I've found so many cool recipes via Pinterest and stumble upon.  So, for the summer (possibly longer) I've decided to challenge myself and try a new recipe every Monday and chronicle it here.  This week it was Lasagna Roll Ups courtesy of homemade by holman


How I did it under the cut (or you can always check out the original as linked above :) )

Ingredients:
  • 8 lasagna noodles
  • 1/2 lb of ground beef or turkey
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 an onion
  • 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 a cup of ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
  • 1 & 1/2 tbsp, fresh basil
  • 1 & 1/2 tbsp. fresh oregano
  • 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Ingredients minus the egg
1) Preheat oven to 350 and start a large pot of water boiling.

2) In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil and sautee the garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes.  Then add the ground beef and brown.

3. Once the meat is browned add the can of crushed tomatoes and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
4. Around this time your water should be boiling so throw in the noddles and cook until al dente.  Drain them and set aside. 

5. Once the sauce is done simmering, add half of the basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes.  Stir.
6. Now it's time to make your ricotta mixture!  Lightly beat the egg in a small bowl and add the ricotta, parmesan, and the rest of the basil and oregano.  Stir together.


7.  On a clean surface lay out a lasagna noodle.  Place a spoon full of sauce on the noodle and spread out.  Repeat with ricotta mixture.  Roll up the noodle and then place it seam side down in a baking pan lined with a bit of the sauce on the bottom.
8. Put some more sauce, the mozzarella, and the rest of the red pepper flakes on the top of the rolls.  Then bake for 20 minutes and you're done.

End Result: It was sooo delicious!  We had some minor set backs though.  First, the onion I bought ended up being moldy inside and since I didn't have time to go out again, our rolls just didn't have onion.  Also, we didn't boil the noodles quite long enough so they were a little tough.  Even with that though, the recipe was amazing and I plan to make it again.  Two of the rolls each was the perfect serving for my husband and I, so this will last us two nights.   I definitely plan to make this again.

Squishy helped too.  Forgive the eye bags.  It was a long night ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment